Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Thanksgiving weekend

We had our Thanksgiving celebration this past weekend and I was happy to leave my diet at home for the day. It was great to taste brussel sprouts, carrots and turnips again. Everything was so delicious it was hard to decide where to start but I was up to the challenge. I even had a nice piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream ... Mmm. My taste buds were thankful.

Before we packed up to head home, my sister-in-law gave me this 'barn art' to take back to our homestead. When we were in B.C., back in May, we visited an organic vegetable farm where the out buildings were decorated with interesting odds and ends. I imagined that each item had a story behind it. Well this is my first piece for my barn art collection and I really like. I've always thought we could use a tractor around the farm and this one is the perfect size. Thanks Jen!

After I hung the barn art we got busy working outside planting some fruit trees on our property. We've been tallking about planting some trees for a few years now so we're happy that it finally happened. We planted a sour cherry, two pears and two apple trees. They should start producing next year, if all goes well. It took about three hours to get them in the ground but, as usual, it will be worth the effort when we dig into our first 100 meter apple pie next year.

I couldn't help thinking "Why didn't we do this sooner"? Oh well, at least they're in the ground now!

No comments:

Post a Comment