Monday, August 23, 2010

Good eating and bad news

I spent Saturday making some meat balls, tomato sauce and some broad egg noodles. In the end I made enough to last four meals which makes it well worth all the time and effort.

I also spent a fair bit of time in the kitchen on Sunday making mozzarella, bread and a butternut squash dish. The butternut squash dish tastes more like a dessert then part of a main meal. It tastes more like a pudding actually.

The recipe is quite simple if you would like to try it.

5 pounds of butternut squash
1/4 cup of goat butter
4 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 teaspoons salt

You peel, cut and boil the butternut squash until done. Then use a food processor to purée the squash in small batches. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Spread the mixture in a lasagna dish and bake at 350 F for 1 hour (uncovered). Then let stand for 15 minutes. It's that easy.

And now for the bad news .... Lucy got a bad cut on her leg after jumping onto one of the glass cold frames on Saturday morning. She was simply too heavy and broke through the glass top. I discovered the injury early and I was able to bandage her up decently. The wound doesn't seem to be bugging her at all but I do worry about it getting infected. Lucy is an important part of this journey ... I wouldn't be able to make it without her.

Goats appear to be very resilient so I hope she will heal quickly and this won't turn in to a big issue. Cross your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment