Saturday, June 12, 2010

Things are starting to grow

We've had a very poor internet connection for a few days now. I'll try to sum up the past week in this update. So far my meal choices have been rather limited. Most mornings I've enjoyed french toast and for lunches have been something eggy. My dinners have been a little better since I had the Lilly burgers, curried goat with noodles and a simple chicken soup for this weekend. Barb's rhubarb muffins see me through the rest of the time.

On Friday night Barb made a special treat. It's amazing! She improvised the following using what we have available.

3/4 cup red currants (frozen from last year)
1/4 cup fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup fresh goat butter
1 cup goat cream cheese
1 fresh large egg
1/4 cup white sugar with a dash of vanilla and a pinch of salt

This will definitely be made again. It was way too good.

I can see variety just around the corner though. The green and yellow zucchinis are starting to form. There are also a few small green tomatoes on the vine. Unfortunately I have a new pest to contend with ... a mouse. I have traps out all over the place that I hope will catch him. He's eating my peas and some zucchinis. He's got to go!

To top off the weekend it looks like my attempt at making feta cheese worked. I followed the recipe ... for the most part ... and the feta cubes are now in the salt brine to mature. I'll give some a try in my eggs tomorrow morning.
I've been on this diet for almost two weeks now and I have a new appreciation for a varied diet. It's strange to say it but I miss ketchup. I am looking forward to making my own ketchup soon ... very soon I hope :)

No comments:

Post a Comment