Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I need more fiber

Barb thinks I'm over sharing. She's probably right ;)

I used the trusty Internet to analyze my daily food intake and it's telling me I'm extremely low on fiber and carbohydrates and just slightly low on fat. I'm not sure what I can do to increase my fiber intake - the garden is a few weeks away from producing anything in quantity. I still have some frozen squash and zucchini but that isn't going to make a significant impact.

Barb suggested baking with kamut flour (10 grams of fibre per 125 ml) or spelt flour (12 grams of fibre per 125 ml). That's a big difference from regular white flour which has only 3 grams of fibre per 125 ml. We'll have to try some out in a muffin recipe .... sooner rather than later.

Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely you need some fibre from grains. Even once your garden starts providing you some veg they won't all be high fibre and there's no getting around the lack of fruit.

    I think I mentioned to you that I now make the whole wheat no knead bread recipe that calls for vital wheat gluten to "lighten" the heaviness of the high proportion of whole wheat flour. It works well. Or you could allow yourself other flours (whole wheat, spelt, kamut or oat)or whole rolled oats or some dried beans.

    In my opinion these "extensions" of your diet are not "cheating" they are a result of your learning and identifying first hand what you cannot yet provide for yourself. You'll know better what to grow next year. OK grains are hard to grow small scale but I've heard that dried beans (kidney etc) can be very successful in the home garden but very few people grow them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete