Friday, April 16, 2010

General Update

The last few weeks have been busy and I haven't provided an update on some of our projects.

For example, the maple syrup turned out extremely well. We have 3 small jars and one slightly larger jar stored away in the fridge. I hope to save this untill next winter. It is something worth looking forward to.

I probably could have boiled down more sap but I ran out of steam (pun intended). I just couldn't spend another night babysittting the simmering pot of sap.

My first attempt at planting my spices was almost a complete failure. I think the goat manure was still a bit 'hot' for the seedlings so only a few survived.

Here is my second attempt. Each group of 9 cells are the same spice. So starting in the top left group and moving clockwards you will see: Parsley, Thyme, Marjoram, Tarragon, Basil, Sage, Rosemary and Oregano. I have at least a little bit of everything which is just perfect.

Now all I have to do is keep 'em alive and harvest them.

I also started some peas, spinach and lettuce in some cold frames.

I didn't get a high germination rate and I'm not sure why. It may have been better to germinate the seeds indoors and then move them to the cold frames when they were well established.

I've planted corn and green pole beans in the empty cells to take advantage of the space available.

No comments:

Post a Comment