Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Grape juice

We went on a small nature hike yesterday and we came across some wild grape vines with some nicely ripened grapes. We tried a few and found them to be more sweet than bitter so we decided to come back and pick some for the 100 meter diet.

For the past 3 months I've only had goat milk and water to drink, so fresh grape juice would be a welcome change.

Picking ripe wild grapes turned out to be a rather messy job but the red stains washed out easily with soap. We picked 4 cups worth of the juiciest grapes and brought them in the house to wash up and then run them through the juicer.

The juicer made short work of the grapes and made about 1 cup of a concentrated dark red grape syrup.


I added some water to help dilute the syrup and then added 6 teaspoons of sugar to sweeten it up. We all lined up to try some and everyone agreed it was delicious. It tasted like a mixture of apple, pear and orange juice with a slightly tart after taste.

There are quite a few grapes still out there waiting to be picked and juiced. The kids and I plan to make a few return trips to pick, juice and freeze the syrup for the winter. I know what I'll be enjoying on Christmas morning!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds very, very yummy, mom went out with oma so I sat down and started reading your blog, you are a very good writer. By the way I know I used the word very a lot, but hey, I'm happy right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katester ... Thanks for the note and compliment. I actually get Barb to proof read from time to time to clean up some of my more obvious grammar mistakes. Keep up that happy mood ;)

    ReplyDelete