Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A simple custard

My mother was up for a visit the other day and we had a conversation about the types of foods she remembers eating as a child. One of her memories included a simple custard dish that her mother, my grandmother, used to make when my mother was young.

I recalled seeing a simple vanilla custard recipe in my Junket rennet recipe booklet but I really didn't know what custard was so I didn't give it any thought. After hearing my mother talk so fondly about my grandmother's custard I knew we had to give it a try.

The recipe couldn't be any easier so we gave it a try with some fresh goats milk.

Ingredients:

2 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 rennet tablet (dissolved in 1 tbsp of water)

Heat milk to 100 F and add the sugar and vanilla. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Then add the dissolved rennet and stir for only a few seconds. Pour directly into dessert dishes and chill in the fridge before serving. That's it.

Five months into the 100 meter diet and I learn about this simple gem! I'm sure my grandmother followed a different recipe but this one is good enough for me ... for now.

One of the reasons I started this diet was to expose myself to new recipes. No matter how simple they may be. Actually, simple recipes are probably the best ones to learn because they form the foundation for more complicated dishes. So I truly appreciate having this simple custard recipe in my repertoire.

Thanks mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment