Thursday, January 21, 2010

First blog post


Hi World!

You've likely heard the saying
"Dance like nobody is watching." ... well I'm going to blog like nobody is reading. Let's begin shall we ...

I've decided to start my preparations for a journey on a one year diet I am calling the 100 Meter Diet. You may have heard the term the 100 mile diet where you eat locally produced foods that were produced within 100 miles of your home. Well, I'm going to prepare to live the 100 meter diet where almost all of my food is grown and raised on our family property ... just a short walk outside our back door.

We have 4.57 acres of land where we already raise chickens and have two young goats. We believe our goats are pregnant but we won't know for sure until the end of March 2010. The official journey is expected to start on June 1, 2010. That is the day I expect to milk a goat for the first time. Once that happens I will commit myself to the 100 meter diet.

Of course there are some supplies that I will need to purchase to make this journey possible - like flour, sugar, yeast, vinegar, some spices, oil and maybe a vitamin or two. Everything else I believe I can produce myself (weather permitting).

My family will be participating, at least partially, in the journey as well. My beautiful wife and our three boys will share in the meals I create but they won't be commited to the 100 meter diet.

I expect to achieve more than a few goals from this journey; 1) lose a few pounds by cutting out the unhealthy food I eat 2) expand my recipe list (a must if I want to stay sane while eating the same foods over and over again) and 3) a greater independence from the food market that includes so much pre-packaged, over processed, foods.

I can hardly wait to start!

Let's get to it ...
Peskychicken

1 comment:

  1. I know this is an old post, but I applaud your efforts and wish you the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete